With any relocation comes introductions, and at the old blog site I never really introduced myself in the first place! It’s a comfort-zone thing for me, I don’t like wearing name tags or having to tell strangers what colour my toothbrush is, team-building is the bane of my existence. However, in the spirit of making positive changes, I will tell you about me as best I can in the hopes that you will be interested enough to come back for future posts! Be gentle with me, I’m nervous…
- My name is Cheantelle, my toothbrush is green, and I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. (deep breath)
- I am a mother to three daughters, L (6), P (3), and H (due in October). For privacy’s sake, I will never refer to them by their whole names. I am constantly on the border of being a good mom and being a full-blown helicopter parent. I try not to be too crazy, but sometimes it can’t be avoided! (My husband says it can)
- I have been with my husband since 2005, and we’ve decided to round it off to an even 10 years before we decide if we should lease newer models.
- I am a Navy wife!
- I live with Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Anxiety, and insomnia. I have also been classified as a psychopath. Not the Patrick Bateman kind, I’m pretty boring in that department. Mental health education and awareness are very important to me, and I will spend a lot of time blogging about various topics that live under that umbrella.
- I also live with my giant-breed dog called Murphy! He’s a pure bred Newfoundlander with smelly breath, a snoring problem, and a giant heart. Sometimes I let him sit on the couch with me when no one else is home.
- I love cooking, baking, CFL football, classic literature, and world history.
- I have two university degrees, Art History (Minor: Latin), and Political Economy (Minor: Labour Studies). I also have diplomas in Accounting, Archaeology, and French History. I am a permanent student (obviously) and also attended Nursing school, although I realised I was too crazy to be a nurse, so I don’t practice.
- I never officially graduated high school. (High school equivalent and diplomas were all achieved online).
- I speak English and French fluently, and am working on German.
- In 2012 I died from an infection that I ignored, thankfully my death occurred at the hospital, and a wonderful doctor called Simon restarted my heart. This and the events surrounding it are what caused PTSD and worsened my general mental health.
- I have more tattoos than I can count! I regret none of them.
- I LOVE Star Trek, Doctor Who, Firefly, Sherlock, and Hannibal. I don’t feel like a fangirl, but I probably am one.
- I collect high heels and fancy makeup, but I hardly wear either of them.
- I play the bagpipes.
- My life-long goal has always been to have an article published in Vanity Fair.
I feel like that’s a pretty solid introduction, don’t you? If I’ve left anything out, or you have any questions as you get to know me, I will answer all of them. My heart and mind can go to some pretty dark places sometimes, and keeping a blog helps me to keep a good perspective on what is real and what is being caused by my mental illness. I hope that involving myself in this bigger blogging community will introduce me to more people eager to discuss mental illness, as well as help me to add to my knowledge base on various subjects.
Now let’s get out there and all be excellent to each other!